| Vendee Information Vendee History Accommodation, Photos, Reviews, Maps,
Moutiers les Mauxfaits
Moutiers les Mauxfaits is situated on the D747 halfway between La Roche-sur-Yon and La Tranche-sur-Mer in the lower bocage.
Its main attraction is its 18th century market hall, built in 1765 on the site of an earlier structure, it has 41 Doric stone pillars which with a total of 60 Oak posts, imposing king posts and other timber structures supports the 4 piece tiled roof. The hall 54.7m long and 24.5m wide has a surface area of 1340m².
The hall has been the venue of a market Fair since the middle ages, it underwent a total renovation in 2006.
The church of St Jacques de Moutiers les Mauxfaits which dates from 1170 is built on the site of an earlier church and monastre and was originally named St Michel, it took the name St Jacques on 9th July 1451. From earliest times it has suffered badly, burnt down by the Huguenot in 1568 and by the troops of Soubise in1622. During the Vendee wars the church went into another period of deteriation being turned into a granier before in 1817 seeing the start of reconstruction.
Today the town is a busy cross-roads and has an array of shops, cafes and restaurants, 1kilometer south of the town is the adventure playground of the Indian Forest which attracts visiters for a fun day out.
Return to find more interesting towns and villages in the Vendee
© Copyright Vendee-Guide.co.uk 2009